What does an Industry expect from an Automobile Engineer?
“ Automobiles! From cars to trucks to the amazing Harley Davidson, this is a thing of interest to many. Automotive engineering takes things to another level. ”
Automobile Engineering or Automotive Engineering is a part of Mechanical Engineering. Through the application of automotive technology, the course offers specialisation in vehicle designing, repairing, testing and assembling. In this programme, one can also learn safety engineering, quality management and control, automotive analytics as well as assembling and installation of various automobiles.
Scope of Automobile Engineering in India
Nowadays, the amount of automobile vehicles is kept increasing every day. The automobile industry is one of the fastest growing industry at the moment in India. There is a heavy rise in automobile manufacturing units all over India.
Career opportunities for automobile engineers don’t stop only within India. They can have a successful career in the Automobile industry in western countries like USA, Germany, the United Kingdom etc. They can also pursue careers in oriental countries like Japan, the Republic of Korea which are giant players in automobile industries.
Since the Automobile industry is a huge industry, there is a wide range of opportunities for automobile engineers.
Automobile Engineering Core Subjects
The core subjects of Automobile Engineering include the following subjects:
- Transmission Principles
- Engine Electrical systems
- Circuits and Electronics
- Engine Principles
- Powertrain Systems
- Automotive Design and Manufacturing
- Steering and Suspension
- CAD/CAM Technology in Automotive Engineering
- Engineering Analysis & Numerical Methods
- Fuel and Emission Control Systems
- Fluid Mechanics and Machinery
- Heat Transfer
- Modern Vehicle Technology
- Operations Research and Industrial Management
- Service and Management
- Vehicle body engineering and Aerodynamics
- Vehicle Performance and Testing
- Vehicle Technology and Dynamics
What does an Industry expect from an Automobile Engineer?
- Physical Endurance – Manually operate tools and equipment or perform the diagnostic test while standing/walking for extensive periods of time.
- Mobility – Physical abilities sufficient to manoeuvre in small spaces; a full range of notion; manual and finger dexterity; and hand-eye coordination.
- Motor Skills – Calibrate and use equipment and tools; remove and install automobile parts which range from small and delicate to large, heavy and awkward with necessary strength and dexterity. Hold a valid drivers license
- Hearing Ability – Auditory ability sufficient to monitor and assess vehicle noises.
- Visual Ability – Normal or corrected visual ability sufficient for vehicle observation and assessment, ability to discriminate between subtle changes in density (black to grey) of colour in low light.
- Tactile Ability – Perform diagnosis by use of touch (feel) and sensory vibrations.
- Olfactory Ability – Distinguish smells which are contributory to assessing automotive system failures such as burnt oil, fuel leakage, and unusual exhaust odour.
- Professional Attitude and Demeanor – Ability to present a professional appearance and implement measures to maintain own physical and mental health, and emotional stability.
- Alertness – Ability to focus and concentrate on diagnostic, repair, and maintenance tasks requiring electrical and mechanical skills.
Skills and Knowledge
- To be able to apply academic knowledge and develop the practical skills
- A good math skills – They use mathematics to calculate the stresses power trains and other parts have to withstand.
- To understand and apply principles of physics and chemistry to properly design engines, electrical systems and other car components.
- Good computer skills are a must because 21st-century engineers rely on computer-assisted design, or CAD, software.
- Good listening skills and the ability to work well with others is essential, as they frequently work with other members of a project team.
- Ability to manage subordinates – an automotive engineer who oversees a manufacturing facility has to effectively organize and direct the work of a group of employees.
- Communication Skills – communicate information to co-workers and management with presentations and written reports
- Ergonomics – Must know about ergonomics, which is applied in the process of designing a car so that the driver and passengers have a comfortable and functional environment.
Softwares Automobile Engineers should Know
- Auto CAD – In the Layout and Designing of Irrigation field. For Design of Implements, Tools, Machine Elements, Assembling of Machine parts and Machine Design.
- Autodesk Inventor – For 3D modelling, It has various modelling options and great simulation tools.
- CATIA – It could help to create mechanical parts, but also great automotive designs.
- Pro E – For Solid modelling, It plays a key role in presenting idea and draft.
- ANSYS – Analysis software with which one could Simulate any Physical Conditions in the universe.
- Hypermesh – This is also for analysis but, it meshes the objects more keenly, hence used by Aerospace applications
- CFD – Used to stimulate the fluid dynamics over the body when it is in rest and motion,
- Blender – very useful for automotive designs. It has simulation tools, it supports polygon meshes and NURBS surfaces.
- SolidWorks –Perfect 3D modelling software for engineers and 3D designers. It is a powerful tool that will help transportation designers to build innovative and efficient models.
- Creo Parametric – is a 3D modelling software that will help you to create great 3D models and to work on smart industrial designs.
- SketchUp – It can produce accurate models for automotive projects. This software is really easy to take in hand.
Nature of Work
- Researching and designing both systems and machines for automobiles.
- Automobile engineers apply physical and mathematical principles to plans to make sure they are viable.
- Automobile engineers are responsible for transforming their plans and research into a viable end product.
- They must oversee the entire process of manufacturing, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Automobile engineers are always required to work on all three aspects of the automobile engineering process; research, designing as well as testing.
- Preparing costs of buying materials and producing systems.
- Work in R&D of electrical systems.
- Automobile engineers must be up to date with all safety regulations so that they do not violate legislation related to automobile engineering procedure.
Responsibility of An Automobile Engineer
- Designing, development and manufacturing of vehicles
- Preparing blueprint of vehicle and its components
- Using traditional as well as most advanced technologies to engineer vehicles
- Working as maintenance and services engineers in automobile workshops, aircraft industries, aviation, marine vessels, and diesel power stations
- use computer-aided design (CAD) packages to develop ideas and produce designs
- decide on the most appropriate materials for component production
- solve engineering problems using mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, thermodynamic or pneumatic principles
- build prototypes of components and test their performance, weaknesses and safety
- take into consideration changing customer needs and government emissions regulations when developing new designs and manufacturing procedures
- prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications
- supervise and inspect the installation and adjustment of mechanical systems in industrial plants
- investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- liaise with suppliers and handle supply chain management issues
- manage projects, including budgets, production schedules, resources, staff and supervise quality control
- inspect and test drive vehicles and check for faults.
Automobile Engineering Job Fields
- Automobiles manufacturing companies, like Car, commercial vehicle and motorcycle..etc.
- Companies serving specialist markets, such as sports or luxury cars and London taxis
- Design houses and test laboratories
- Automotive component suppliers
- Tre manufacturers, accessory and safety equipment manufacturers
- Fuel and oil companies
- Motorsport teams, preparation specialists and engineering consultancies.
Automobile Engineering Job Options
- Automobile Engineer
- Automobile Technicians – These technicians are generally responsible for servicing, repairing and overall maintenance of vehicles.
- Car Mechanics – This segment is full of multiple opportunities as there are several brands, which have made a significant presence in India as well as overseas. There are some Indian brands, which have a strong presence in other countries as well, for example, Jaguar by TATA.
- Bike Mechanics – Many high-end globally recognized brands like Harley Davidson and Triumph are expanding at a brisk pace. They also have a strong grip in the metropolitan cities of India. There is an urgent requirement of automobile engineers in this segment.
- Diesel Mechanics – They are responsible for repairing and maintenance of diesel engines.
- Automobile Designers – These designers are responsible for working on shape, size, etc. of vehicles. Every feature of the car requires an expert designer to design it.
- Material Processing Specialist – Materials specialists make sure the right material is used for the right job and may be involved in developing, selecting or evaluating materials for specialist uses.
- Safety Testing Specialist
- Material Purchase Manager – The purpose of a Materials Manager is to oversee the planning and coordination of a company’s inventory and purchasing departments. They are tasked with researching best prices, monitoring inventory levels, distributing supplies, and negotiating contracts.
- Quality Control Executive – Oversees all aspects of an organization’s quality control function. Ensures products meet corporate standards as well as all applicable government regulations.
- Research and Development Engineer – Conducts research and development activities for an organization. Applies research theories, principles, and models when conducting experiments and research activities.
- Executive and Managerial Positions
According to PayScale India, an automobile engineer can earn anywhere between Rs. 250,000 and Rs. 600,000 per annum including average bonuses and commissions received on the job. The highest salaries were paid by vehicle manufacturers whereas product development engineering firms paid a lot less to automobile engineers they hired.
Best Automobile Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu
- Anna University, Chennai
- Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai
- IIT, Chennai
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- SASTRA, Thanjavur
- Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
- Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
- VelTech University, Chennai
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Erode
- Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College, Coimbatore
- Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education, Virudhunagar
- Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
- Dr MGR Educational and Research Institute, Chennai
- Hindusthan College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore
- Vinayaka Mission’s Research Foundation, Salem
- Bharathidasan Institute of Technology, [BIT] Anna University, Tiruchirappalli
- Karpagam Academy of Higher Education, Coimbatore
- SNS College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Park College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore
- Paavai Engineering College, Pachal
- Nehru Institute of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore
These are the Best Automobile Engineering colleges in India. As far as career growth and development are concerned, aeronautical engineering is one of the top options in terms of Return on Investment. The stream offers a stable career, excellent remuneration and a future-proof career option for students.
For Automobile Engineering Admission
at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology – Click here
For Contact –
Call : +91-89401 26000,