What does an Industry expect from an Agriculture Engineer?
Scope of Agriculture Engineering in India
“Agriculture is not a job, it’s all about passion and hard work”
Agricultural engineering is the study that involves engineering science disciplines and technology practices to the effective production and processing of food, feed, fibre and fuels.
In India, agriculture engineering is a technologically precocious course that offers bright career chances and opportunities in any country around the world and in various areas.
Agricultural engineers can get jobs in government and public sector industries, food processing, and retail business, research institutions and laboratories, banks and financial enterprises, central and state government organizations and private firms.
What does an Industry demand from an Agriculture Engineer?
“An industry that feeds you is an industry worth fighting for”
- Advance farm production by agricultural engineering methods.
- Implement agricultural engineer programs to improvise quality standards in agricultural products.
- Invent and promote farming machines, implements, and equipment like conveyors and drag chains.
- Recommend and teach farmers and agriculturalists on the latest farming issues and techniques.
- Plan, expand and start fertilization plans and harvesting cycles.
- Develop and manage irrigation processes and issues.
- Handle an investigation on the latest trends in agricultural engineering and farming aspects.
- Associate and coordinate with farming professionals, agronomists, agricultural technicians, and farmers.
- Socialize with agricultural merchants, clients, and government organizations.
- Assure agreement of all state and federal agricultural laws and guidelines.
- Using engineering strategies efficiently to solve problems is the primary role of agricultural engineers
- Proficiency in biological science.
- Math skills – agricultural engineers regularly use advanced math such as calculus, trigonometry, and geometry for analysis, design, and troubleshooting
- Industrial design – inventing and designing agricultural machinery that is reliable and more efficient is another important duty
- Logical thinking – agricultural engineers must analyse the demands of complex agricultural systems that cover machinery, tools, workers, plants, animals, and environmental surroundings
- Communication skills – successfully communicating with other contractors, clients, and technicians to solve difficulties is a necessity for agricultural engineers
- The engineer must have the sense to anticipate future trends in the agricultural market.
- For a research job, the person must have a great business attitude.
- The person should be accustomed to product engineering, equipment research, and designing.
Software an Agriculture Engineer should know
- application of designing and manufacturing transition elements used in agricultural technological units.
- Auto CAD – For making efficient area planning for various crop plantation, Designing agricultural equipment,
- Solidworks – used for Simulation
- COMSOL Multiphysics – used for simulation and modelling
- Irri CAD – For Irrigation design and layout
- GIS—QGIS/ RGIS – To analyze the Satellite data
- Agricultural machinery and equipment
- C, C++, Arduino Programming for automatic systems – For Automation
Nature of Work
- One of the jobs of Agricultural engineers is to integrate technology with farming. For Ex: they create and design new and improved farming tools that may operate more efficiently or do new jobs.
- They design and build agricultural infrastructures such as dams, water reservoirs, warehouses, and other structures.
- Agriculture engineers are developing new forms of biofuels from non-food resources like algae and agricultural waste. Such fuels could economically and sustainably replace gasoline without jeopardizing the food supply.
Responsibilities of An Agriculture Engineer
- To work on irrigation projects, flood control and soil erosion projects too.
- To design food processing systems that are required by food processing and packaging industries.
- To work on research and development as well as in sales and marketing.
- They develop new designs for equipment and machinery which are used by the food and agriculture industry.
- The agricultural engineer supervises the production of the equipment, machines and its parts.
- They design the equipment in such a way so that farming becomes easier, energy efficient, and good for soil and water conservation.
Agriculture Engineering Job Fields
Agriculture Jobs in Government Employment Sectors,
- Directorate of Oil palm Research
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- United India Insurance Company Ltd.
- Natural Agriculture Innovative Project, Maharashtra
- Cabinet Secretariat, Govt of India, New Delhi.
- Food Corporation of India.
- National Seeds Corporation
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- National Dairy Development Board
Agriculture Jobs in Private sectors,
- Agricultural equipment designing
- Bio-renewable products
- Conservation of soil and water
- Crop production
- Dairy Management
- Processing of agricultural products etc.
Agriculture Engineering Job Options
- Agricultural Engineer
- Agricultural Crop Engineer
- Agricultural Sales Engineer
- Agricultural Program Manager
- Agricultural Inspector
- Agricultural Specialist
- Agriculture Portfolio Manager
- Farm Shop Manager
- Farming Consultant
- Environmental Controls Engineer
- Food Supervisor
- Plant Physiologist
- Primary production manager
- Soil Scientist
- Survey Research Agricultural Engineer
- Research / Fundamental Analyst
Agriculture Engineering Salary
After completing agriculture engineering a student gets a decent earning opportunity like from 4 lakh to 5 lakh per annum.
Best Agriculture Engineering Colleges in India
Here is the list of Agriculture Engineering colleges in India,
- National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI), Karnal
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), Delhi
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University (ANGRAU), Hyderabad
- Chaudhary Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University (CCSHAU), Hisar
- University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS), Bangalore
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU), Coimbatore
- Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), Ludhiana
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI)
- Central Institute of Fisheries Education (CIFE), Mumbai
- The Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
- Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathyamangalam.
- University of Horticultural Sciences, Bagalkot
- Rajasthan Agricultural University
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad
A glimpse of Agriculture Engineering in Bannari Amman Institute of Technology
“Agriculture is the process of turning Ecosystem into People”
The agriculture department in BIT is equipped with state of the art laboratory facilities with highly qualified Members of Faculty. Department has a fully mechanized farm and exclusive machinery training centre which comprises of 4 Wheel Drive Tractor Cut- Section and individual component cut sections.
Fully modernized Irrigation/Drainage Laboratory, Groundwater Laboratory and GIS Laboratory with latest Soil Water Modeling Software. Centralized on-field irrigation system gives the option of using different irrigation systems. Agricultural processing laboratory has been built to serve the demands of teaching and research on the Processing Technology of agriculture produces.
What makes Agriculture Engineering in BIT to stand out from the crowd?
To impart the knowledge on organic crop cultivation aspects from seed to harvest, the department has a 10 acres farm along with well-equipped soil science, agriculture metrology, and crop husbandry labs.
A playhouse in the department has fully automated and enables the students to learn cultivation practices under a controlled environment. The department offers hands-on training for students from the first year onwards on the latest agricultural engineering technologies.
We are Training and producing Agricultural Engineers with a wealth of knowledge and function effectively in disciplines like agricultural machinery and automated machine systems, soil conservation, irrigation and drainage, crop nutrient and fertigation, postharvest handling and value addition, farm animals and housing etc. for the efficient production and processing of food, feed, fiber and fuels.
BIT has achieved excellence in the curriculum planning pertaining to agricultural engineering by a periodical update in order to develop the students with sound technical knowledge.
The Department is strengthening the research activities of students in agricultural engineering by proposing innovative and application-oriented projects for the development of agriculture and allied sectors. Our institution has established the necessary infrastructure to meet the industrial, and R&D needs.
The Faculties helping students to develop their skills on the various aspects of agricultural engineering to make them to as entrepreneurs, scientists, academicians, and technologists for sustained food production so as to meet the ever-increasing population’s food needs.
For Agriculture Engineering Admission
at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology – Click here
For Contact –
Call : +91-89401 26000,