What are the skills required for a civil Engineer?
Scope of Civil Engineering in India
Next to agriculture the most promising 2nd largest economic activity in the country is construction. According to statistics, 30% of the nation`s working population depends on construction and its allied activities for their livelihood.
What Civil Engineers Do?
Civil engineers construct, build and maintain public and private sector. They design building projects like roads, buildings, airports, tunnels, dams, bridges, and systems for water supply and sewage treatment. Civil engineers work involved in planning, design, construction, research, and education.
What is the expected market in civil engineering?
According to Global Market Insights, Inc Civil Engineering Market size is expected to reach USD 11.72 trillion by 2025.
Smart Building Market
Around the 2016 smart building market is expected to reach around USD 5,800 million in the year and approximately USD 61,900 million by 2024. Between 2017 and 2024 the global smart building market is expected to reach a CAGR of more than 34%.
How can I become a Civil Engineer?
A bachelor degree in civil engineering is one of its specialties, or civil engineering technology is all you needed to become a civil engineer. A postgraduate degree is needed for research or teaching career.
What are the basic eligibility criteria for joining BE/ B.Tech in Civil Engineering?
After 12th examination, with a good percentage of marks in Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics) as compulsory subjects along with any one of the subjects like Computer Science, Biology and Biotechnology is the basic eligibility criteria for a BE/B.Tech in Civil Engineering.
Duration: BE/B.Tech[4 year`s duration]
What are the basic eligibility criteria for joining ME/M.Tech in Civil Engineering?
After completing B.E/B. Tech or equivalent examination in the respective stream from a recognized deemed/private/state or central University with at least 50% marks is the basic eligibility criteria for joining ME/M.Tech in civil engineering.
Some universities conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.E courses or take admissions through commonly held entrance exams like GATE.
Duration: ME/M. Tech courses are of 2 year’s duration.
Skills Required for civil engineers
- Math skills – Sound mathematical, scientific and IT skills.
- Dedication and Hardworking – the ability to work deadlines and within budgets.
- Adjustability – negotiating, supervisory and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of technical – ability to maintain an overview of entire projects while continuing to attend to detailed technicalities.
- Problem Solving skills- Finding solutions for problems.
- Leadership skills- negotiating, supervisory and leadership skills.
- Decision-Making skills-ability to take decisions at the right time.
- Organizational Skills– the ability to think methodically and to manage projects.
- Speaking Skills– excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of law -complete knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Writing Skills-a good drafting skills to manage the documents.
- Teamwork-Handling and supervising the team.
Software that civil engineer should know?
- AUTO CAD and SKETCH UP (for drafting/drawing)
- Microsoft Office( Excel, PowerPoint, Word )
- REVIT and Tekla( For detailing)
- STAAD PRO and E TABS (for design)
- SAP 2000
- ETABS(Structural analysis)
- Google Sketchups
- 3d Home Architect
- 3d max, V ray for modeling
- Bently Road Network
- Revit MEP
- Bentley water gems/sewergems
- Prima Vera(For management)
- Take off
- Microsoft Office, etc.
- Lucas Finite Element Analysis System
- Geo studio, -geotechnical work (analyzing slope stability, groundwater seepage, stress deformations)
- Geo5- used for Excavation design, Shallow foundation and deep foundation design, stability analysis, settlement analysis
- FLAC3D- advanced geotechnical analysis of soil, rock, and structural support in three dimensions.
What are the responsibilities of civil engineers?
- Visiting the site and undertaking technical and feasibility information.
- Developing designs using the software.
- Analyzing complex calculations.
- Meeting the clients and understanding their requirements.
- Meeting with a variety of professionals including architects and subcontractors.
- Finding out the market and supervising tendering procedures.
- Resolving designs and development problems
- Mapping the budgets and project resources.
- Material and equipment purchase.
- Ensuring health and safety measures while working on the projects.
- Understanding the legal requirements for the project.
- Understanding the sustainability and environment impact of the projects.
- Monitoring the projects for smooth function.
- Delivering the projects on the scheduled time and budget.
What are the job positions after completing civil engineering?
What are the projects a civil engineer can work with?
- Administrative/ Residential buildings,
- Roads/ Highways,
- Hydro Electric Projects,
- Thermal & Nuclear Projects,
- Recreational places,
- Water distribution systems,
- Electrical grids,
- Structural Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Coastal and Harbour Engineering (which deals with the construction of marine and offshore structures and effect of sea waves on these structures)
- Construction Management and Quantity Estimations
- Renewable energy,
- Water sources identification & boring (wells),
- Purification systems for clean water,
- Hazard waste management and so on.
- Rainwater harvesting system,
- estimation, gas and oil plants,
- water mains,
- preparation of civil drawings,
- power generation firms construction of pipelines,
- tunnels, buildings, dams, sewage systems, and bridges, etc.
TOP Govt/PSU Companies for Civil Engineer:
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Gas Authority of India Limited
- Steel Authority of India Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Defense Research and Development Organization
- Indian Space Research Organisation.
Top construction companies for Civil Engineers
- Larsen & Toubro
- Tata Projects Ltd
- Jaypee Group
- Oberoi Realty
- Reliance Infrastructure
- Punj Lloyd
- Gammon India
- Jaiprakash Associates
- Lanco Infratech
- Hindustan Construction company
- Shobha developers
- Simplex Infrastructures Ltd.
- GMR Infrastructure
- Gvk Power & Infrastructure Limited
- IRB Infrastructures
- Patel Engineering
- Gayatri Projects Ltd
- Ramky Infrastructure
what are the higher education streams after b-tech courses?
M.E/M.tech programs in India:
- Structural Engineering,
- Geotechnical Engineering,
- Construction Management,
- Environmental Engineering,
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering,
- Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering,
- Transportation Engineering,
- Water Resource Engineering.
- Urban Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Construction Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Engineering Geosciences
The following are some of the flagship projects proposed by Government of India which require (partially or fully) civil engineers/ civil engineering for their successful implementation
- Make in India
- Smart cities
- Namami Ganga
- Swatch Bharat Abhiyan
- HRIDAY (National Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana) scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sinchai Yojana
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- Soil Health Card Scheme
- National RU URBAN Mission
- Bullet train
- Metro train coming in New cities
- Coastal corridor
- Bharat Mata Pariyojana
- Development of inland waterways
- Development of road network across indo-china border
Did you know?
Facts about the World Tallest Building
Burj Khalifa besides holding the World Record for the tallest building, it holds six other World Records: tallest freestanding structure in the world, highest number of stories in the world, highest occupied floor in the world, highest outdoor observation deck in the world, elevator with longest travel distance in the world, and tallest service elevator in the world.
“If the opportunity doesn`t knock, build a door” -Milton Berle