Be a mentor not only as a teacher
The importance of mentoring system in the colleges/schools/universities:
Mentoring system in colleges/schools/universities are important, not only for providing knowledge to the students but also to impart various skills to accomplish the students The mentoring system can dispense professional socialization and personal support to facilitate success in their life. The qualification for successful mentoring relationship is both the mentor and mentee to recognize, construe, and honestly enunciate their common and individual goals. The best quality mentoring substantially intensifies students to achieve success in their life. Many Researchers proved that students who experience good mentoring also have a greater chance of securing academic tenure-track positions, or greater career advancement potential in administration or sectors outside the university. Mentor and teacher are in their same position to enhance and promote individual skills, knowledge and performance. A teacher mainly focus on an individual’s driving performance through task oriented instructions whereas mentoring is a long term relationship management that focuses on current and future career development and personal skills. The mentoring has benefits not only for the mentee, mentor as well as for the organization. The mentoring has benefits not only for the mentee, mentor as well as for organization. The mentoring also increases a mentees visibility with an organization leading to greater recognition. The mentors can also get benefit with job satisfaction and passion towards their job and it will increase peer recognition and insights into the wider organization.
The mentoring develops a culture of personal development increases engagement and staff retention and provides a greater shared commitment. As a mentor by giving a little time, a little attention, you can help many of them connect to opportunity – and make an impact on them and our communities. The mentor is not only monitoring their daily attendance and recording their marks and communicating with parents and also evinces greater productivity in their research activity, conference presentations, Journal publications, product development, and motivate them for proposal writing. The role of mentor is not only giving boring advice but also giving personal and professional development for a mentee through the sharing of own knowledge, references expertise and life experience. A mentor plays various roles in student’s life such as monitoring daily attendance and recording their marks, communicating with parents, evincing greater productivity in their research activity, conferences, presentations, journal publications, product development and motivate them for proposal writing. Being mentor is one of the most valuable and has to feel like one of the responsibility to promote effective development opportunities to your mentees. If a mentee having the proper guidance, encouragement and support of a trusted and experienced mentor means they can attain broad range of personal and professional benefits, which ultimately lead to improved performance for the organization also.
Benefits for mentees while mentoring
• The opportunity for mentees to know about the new skills and current scenario
• Get to know the new ideas and overcoming their stage fear
• Advice can be accepted as easily and developing their strength
• Got guidance related to professional development and advancement
• Increasing the humanity and values of teamwork
• Feel like work in a family and destroy the negative thinking
• Increased visibility towards the recognition within the company
Benefits for mentors include:
• Increasing the value and passion towards the teaching
• Reduce the work stress when we spent time with mentees
• Always feel like having fresh perspectives, ideas and some technologies
• Extension of their professional development record
• Enhancement of communication skills and enhance the students Curriculum vitae
• Opportunity to reflect on their own goals and practices and Increase student’s self confidence and motivation
• Development of their personal leadership and coaching styles
• Increase the student’s circle of friends for getting job
Benefits for the company/organization in mentoring system:
• Improve the student’s behaviors and attitudes
• Organization goals and proposal can reach the students directly
• Develop a culture of personal and professional growth
• Enhancement of communication skills.
• Improve staff morale, performance and motivation
• Will support the students financially at critical points
As a mentor the changes I have made in recent days
Recently, I have made some changes in my mentor life. I hope that each day I’m able to inspire some young minds by cultivating hope in their life.
• Developed whatsup group and Google classroom among mentees
• Meet them directly and asked their strength and weakness
• Asked them personally about their financial supports and needs
• Asked everyone reason for not participating in any events
• Contacted monthly, twice a common meeting at Google meets during the lockdown period
• Daily used to call the mentees who are absent for regular classes
•Continuously sharing the information/list of events in group.
• Provide objective guidance and feedback based on personal experience
• Maintain confidentiality about their family background and motivate them about the importance of life
• During the Google meet up, appreciated those who got rewards and also encouraged others to get improved in their future.
The changes that happened between the mentees
• I can proudly say that, I play a primary role in their life while coming to academics.
• Nowadays, students are attending the classes regularly. If there is any absenteeism they are intimating me with the reason without fail.
• Students’ participation in off- campus events have increased widely.
• They are very interested to participated in conferences/symposium etc
• A few mentees consider me as their sister.
• Most of the students active in allocated special lab activities
• Most of the students interested to participate in resume interview, industry interaction and other activities incorporated by the college
• Helping tendency and team work of every students has increased
• Developed leadership quality and management skills
I am enjoying every bit of my college time as a mentor. It has both positive and negative but at last it’s fulfilling when you help youngsters to leave college with decent grades and came to know they have a better future.
- images: https://www.google.com/search?q=importance+of+a+mentor&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjxzpWBg9bqAhUQJLcAHfweCQUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=impo&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgQIABBDMgUIABCxAzIECAAQQzIHCAAQsQMQQzICCAAyBQgAELEDMgUIABCxAzICCABQ2rgXWM3AF2D62BdoAHAAeACAAWCIAf0CkgEBNJgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=hoISX_HzEJDI3LUP_L2kKA&bih=654&biw=1349&client=firefox-b-d&hl=en#imgrc=29mN41OI0SrVmM