Artificial Intelligence and Applications in Civil and Construction Industry
Artificial intelligence is an aspect in which intelligence is demonstrated with the help of machines, i.e. With the help of artificial components other than humans and animals. Any device that makes use of the environment and plays a vital role in resulting in a maximum achievement in its goal is termed, intelligent agents. These agents work the same as a human brain and solve the problem in a very smart and effective manner. The main goal of AI was to offer solutions to the problems we face.
AI is the branch of computer science that aims to answer Turing’s question in the affirmative. It is the endeavour to replicate or simulate human intelligence in machines.
- Prevent cost overruns
- Artificial Intelligence for better Design of Buildings through Generative Design
- Risk Mitigation aspects
- Artificial Intelligence for safety in Construction
- Artificial Intelligence for offshore construction
- Prevent Cost overturns: Nearly all the building during construction goes over the estimated budget. Artificial Neural Networks are used in these projects to predict the increase in cost overruns based on some of the factors such as project size, contract type and the competence level of project managers. This step reduces the time to onboard new resources onto projects. As a result, of which the project is completed with the estimated budget and proves much economical.
2. Artificial Intelligence for better Design of Buildings through Generative Design
The 3D model-based process gives a beautiful view of the building construction through various aspects such as architectural aspect, engineering aspect as well through constructional aspect also. For this, the recent usage of BIM is effectively used. it not only takes care of the 3D view but also takes care of mechanical, electrical and plumbing aspects also (MEP).
3. Risk Mitigation Aspects
Risks are mainly present during the construction process at any stage, which can be either during Quality control, safety aspect, cost of production stage. The risks get reduced when the project is small, large when the project is very large. AI handles these issues very easily and predicts the risks beforehand and gives us space for understanding the risks and solutions to them.
4. Artificial Intelligence for Safety in Construction
The safety of the labourers at the construction site must be considered with utmost care. AI warns the workers to wear proper protective equipment at the construction site.
5. Artificial Intelligence for Offshore Construction
In recent developments robots are used in the construction fields which helps in the construction of offshore structures with coordination with human workers at the site. The in-depth works like mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC systems work with the help of AI in a very easier and speedy manner, reduces during the risk, handling and transportation of heavy construction materials.