WHEN DO THE ROAD ACCIDENTS TEND TO HAPPEN MORE? AT WINTER OR SUMMER
It was a common belief that road accidents tend to happen more in the rainy season than in the summer season. This is because of the slippery nature of the road but a new record in Tamil Nadu has broken the myth. There have been more accidents in Tamil Nadu during the summer season. The record says that a total of 57927 accidents were reported this summer that’s April and June where 14644 people were dead. If you consider the records of monsoon, it is less when compared to summer and shows about 5366 accidents in which 1077 passed out. There were also fewer accidents in December and January likely to be 2163 accidents happened taking out lives of 390 members. The accidents happened because of the fog that has hidden the sight while driving. The summer accidents are quite astonishing since it is much difficult to sort out the reasons. (1)
There are a lot of road users in summer time mainly it is time for a vacation. Moreover, the roads are undertaken for civic works in order to enable proper transportation during the winter. Obviously, people tend to take the wrong path that may lead to accidents.
Reasons behind those accidents
- School children tend to go a ride in bicycle or motorcycle which may become a crucial thing that can prone to indulge them in an accident.
- Adding up the vacation with summer travel, most of the people tend to intake alcohol and drive. It has also become a part of the fantasy. This again makes the summer has some of the deadliest days of the year on the road.
- Teen drivers are more likely to engage in distracted driving, including texting, using a phone or grooming while in a car. This makes the accidents, though other drivers are properly on the way. (2)
- Road construction is popular during the summer because the good weather makes it easier for workers to do their jobs. But not every driver is cautious as they should be around construction zones.
- The warm weather of summer also brings out more cyclists and bikers, requiring drivers to learn to share the road with them and making right turns and other manoeuvres more difficult.
- The summer heat might cause a lot of problem to the vehicle parts and at sometimes leads to the failure of that equipment. This can also be a reason for the accidents during the summer season. (3)
- It is always better to look into the vehicle before you begin to take up the ride. Sometimes, excessive heat could lead to the mirage, which may mislead our sight leading to accidents.
It is important to keep safety in mind regardless of the season or time of day; wear your seatbelt, don’t drink and drive, pay attention to the weather conditions going on around you, don’t drive distracted like texting, calling, eating, scanning the radio etc., and always stay focused on the road in front of you. Remember even if the day is beautiful and the conditions are perfect it is still important to pay attention and be cautious while driving.