Have you ever tried to achieve a goal but achieved mediocre results? Have you ever seen other people achieve their goals effortlessly and wonder how they do that? This is where skills development comes in. This article is about skills development, why it’s an important part of goal achievement, and how to go about doing it. (1)
What is Skills Development?
Skills development is the process of identifying your skill gaps and developing and honing these skills. It is important because your skills determine your ability to execute your plans with success.
Imagine a carpenter trying to build a house. He has the raw materials but lacks good woodworking tools. He has, however, a flimsy hammer and a small screwdriver. Without the right tools, as a hand saw, he can’t turn these raw materials into house building pieces.
It’s the same with goal achievement. In goal achievement, your skills are your tools. The house is your goal. Just as you need the right tools to build a house, you need the right skills to build your goal. Without the right skills, you will only frustrate yourself, waste your time, and spend a lot of time dealing with rudimentary issues caused by the lack of knowledge or lack of skills, as opposed to progressing in your goal. While difficulty and struggle is part and parcel of any goal pursuit, without the right skills, you find yourself struggling more than necessary. Worse still, this struggle is unconstructive and doesn’t help you move forward. (2)
The essential skills that women should Possess
- Financial skills
- Domestic skills
- Home and car maintenance skills
- Safety skills
- Survival skills
- Goal-setting skills
- Time management skills
- Emotional intelligence
- Communication skills
- Change management skills
- Knowing and trusting yourself.
- Body awareness skills.
- Using feminine energy.
- Relationship-building skills.
- Using humour.
- Socializing skills.
- Self-promotion skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Boundary-setting skills.
- Resourcefulness and delegating skills.
- Letting go. (3)
Following initiatives are launched to facilitate skill development among women and spur entrepreneurship in India
- Long Term Skill Development Training via Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs)
- Short Term Skill Development Training
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Apprenticeship Training
- Policy Interventions
- Special Women-Centric Projects
- Partnerships with Private & Non-Government Organizations to boost skill development
- Projects in Pradhan Mantri Mahila Kaushal Kendra (PMMKK)
- Future jobs and industry-oriented courses
- Entrepreneurial Initiatives (4)
Also read, Raise Your Voice Against Child Marriage